- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 batch Mushroom Alfredo Sauce (see below)
- 1 batch Crispy Onion Topping (see below)
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and thinly-sliced
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon each fine sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 8 ounces any variety of mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Butcher’s Chicken or Turkey Bone Broth
- 1 cup milk (preferred milk fat percentage)
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Heat a large stockpot of water over high-heat until boiling. Meanwhile, trim and cut the green beans. Then add the beans to the boiling water and cook for 3-5 minutes depending on how crispy you like your green beans. Beans will also cook in the oven, so keep that in mind. Use a slotted spoon or a large strainer to transfer the beans immediately into a large bowl of ice water and quickly stir to prevent further cooking.
3. Melt 1/2 tablespoon butter or olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is partially cooked but still holds shape and is still opaque. Transfer the onion to a clean bowl.
4. Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter to the sauté pan, along with the panko, and stir to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the panko is lightly golden. Remove from heat, and transfer the panko to the bowl with the onions. Add in the Parmesan, salt and pepper, and toss the onion mixture until evenly combined. Set aside.
5. Briefly rinse and dry the sauté pan. Then return it to the stove. Melt the butter over medium-high heat. Then add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and soft. Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
6. Stir in the flour and sauté for 1 more minute, stirring occasionally. Then add in the Butcher’s Bone Broth, and stir until the flour is evenly dissolved. Add the milk and Parmesan, and stir to combine. Continue cooking the sauce until it reaches a simmer and thickens. Then remove from heat, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Combine the green beans and mushroom alfredo sauce in the stockpot, and stir the green bean mixture until evenly combined. Transfer to a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, and spread the green bean mixture into even layer. Sprinkle evenly with the crispy onion topping mixture.
8. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the crispy onion topping is golden and crispy. Serve warm and enjoy!